With so many state and osteopathic regulatory boards, it would be relatively difficult to stay current with an ever-changing regulatory environment.
The Federation of State Medical Boards serves as the voice for state medical boards. They have assembled the following helpful guide which provides a Board-by-Board overview of the Use of Lasers and the Delegation of Medical Functions. This guide is available at here:
When starting you Laser Tattoo Removal business, take the time to understand your compliance responsibilities. They may not always be clear; however, it is always best to take the time to do things the right way. These regulations are most often in place for a reason- someone did something stupid– now there is a regulation in place to reduce the possibility of recurrence. Establish a commitment to compliance from the onset of your Laser Tattoo Removal business. This can be surprisingly easy to establish at the start, and surprisingly expensive to impose on an established business with an established way of doing things. At the end of the day, you may grow to appreciate the wisdom of the regulations adopted by the board in your local jurisdiction. At the very least, you will find that your compliance with these regulations create a barrier of entry to potential competitors. You may find this to be a valuable tool in your arsenal as competitors react to the success of your business.
Now that we’ve discussed what to do, can we share a bit of advice on what NOT to do?
As we’ve shown, regulations regarding the use of lasers are complex, location specific and subject you, the practice owner, to enforcement actions which can have a profoundly negative impact on your Laser Tattoo Removal business. Do not:
- Take legal advice from your local sales person. After all, they are financially incentivized to sell lasers and are often ignorant of the specific regulations that govern your business. In fact, most independent-minded people would think they have a conflict of interest in this matter.
- Take legal advice from on-line Laser Buying Guides from dubious sources. Since you’ll be judged according to your compliance with location-specific regulations, RUN, DON’T WALK from companies that show any of the following:
- The Most Common Tattoo Removal Regulations,
- An Overview of the States’ Regulations,
- Or any claim that their ‘experts’ can guide you in this area.
Statements such as this betray a careless disregard for the long-term health of your business.
With this said, understand that many businesses have made the proper investment to establish their Laser Tattoo Removal business the right way. Quanta can help in a number of tangible and appropriate ways:
- Quanta can provide your local regulatory expert the materials required for them to provide an educated regulatory opinion.
- Quanta can assist your efforts in locating an appropriate Medical Director for your practice, if this is required.
- Quanta can provide the necessary training and certification required for compliance with all regulations.
The vast majority of states do not require tattoo removal clinic owners or laser operators to have medical credentials, whether as a physician, nurse, or something similiar. In fact, non-medical personnel make up the bulk of individuals active in the laser tattoo removal industry.
There are, however, a few exceptions to this rule, but the most common regulations include some combination of the following requirements:
- Use of an FDA cleared device for the removal of tattoos.
- A physician medical director affiliated with the practice.
- A certified laser operator with at least 16 hours of hands-on training.
- A laser operator with laser safety training and certification.
The bottom line:
Each day, practitioners open Laser Tattoo Removal practices to reap the economic benefit of this exciting and exploding market. Quanta believes that an investment in compliance builds a better practice. Though we don’t offer legal or regulatory advice, we can help execute your plan once you understand the requirements in your locality. There is nothing to be intimidated by this; successful business create value by doing things the right way. Quanta is there for you as you build value in your new Laser Tattoo Removal Business.
Quanta does not provide, nor in any way represent to have insight, legal or regulatory advice, nor advocates a position whatsoever to which anyone should rely upon regarding who may pulse a laser for any purpose in any under the jurisdiction of any state or osteopathic board.